As summer wraps up, I find myself wanting to use as many summer veggies as I can, while I still can. This stir fry uses summer sweet peppers, corn, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, and basil.
This is actually a modified recipe from Plated, a meal delivery kit that my husband and I tried several years ago but didn’t like. As you long-time readers might remember, my unhappiness with meal delivery kits was a large part of my inspiration for creating The Clean Food Club. I liked getting a box of produce and the recipes to go with it, but I disliked so much else about it. When I quit the kits, I was afraid to be my own source of recipes and let the farmers market dictate my meals, but as my mom said back when I began, “It’s only hard for the first year. Then the year starts over.”
Hopefully my catalog of seasonal recipes saves you from having to find and create recipes on your own, and now you’ll have no fear when faced with the bounty of the farmers market.
Summer Squash and Chicken Sausage Stir Fry
Makes 4 servings
Total time: 40 minutes
In My Basket:
2 small Yellow Onions (from Stearns Farm, Framingham MA)
1 lb Cherry Tomatoes (from Stearns Farm, Framingham MA)
2 Sweet Peppers (from Stearns Farm, Framingham MA)
1 medium Zucchini (from Stearns Farm, Framingham MA)
1 medium Yellow Squash (from Stearns Farm, Framingham MA)
4 ears of Corn (from Tangerini’s Spring Street Farm, Millis MA)
1 lb Chicken Sausage (from Chestnut Farms, Hardwick MA)
1 handful fresh Basil leaves (from Stearns Farm, Framingham MA)
A few fresh Oregano leaves (from Stearns Farm, Framingham MA)
3 tbsp Olive Oil (from Fiore, Bar Harbor ME)
From the Pantry:
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash and dry all fresh produce. Peel onion, thinly slice. Quarter the peppers, remove seeds and membranes, chop into bite-size pieces. Halve cherry tomatoes. Husk corn, slice kernels off the cob. Place the onion, corn, tomatoes, and peppers in a small bowl, set aside. Halve zucchini and squash, cut into 1/2 inch slices, put in a separate bowl.
- In a large non-stick pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium high. Add sausage, saute until cooked through (follow internal temperature recommendations). Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium. Add the zucchini and squash, season with salt and pepper, cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Add the bowl of veggies to the pan of zucchini and squash, season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the oregano leaves, red pepper flakes, and the sausage to the pan. Stir to combine and warm through, about 2 minutes. Add the basil, season with salt and pepper if needed, and transfer to a serving dish when basil starts to wilt.
- Plate the stir fry, and enjoy!
Alice Kathryn Richardson is a new media photojournalist and creator of The Clean Food Club. She previously spent two years working on Deserts in the District, a series of short-form documentaries exploring food access and hunger in Washington, DC. She is committed to supporting local and sustainable food businesses by telling their stories with photo and video. Follow her on Twitter @AKR_Pictures.